The kitchen is commonly a place where we spend a lot of time. From experience of painting hundreds of homes since we began Newbold Decorators, it’s also often the most expensive room in the house to renovate.
But if you want to transform your kitchen without breaking the bank there are some simple steps.
- The first thing you need to do is decide what you want the kitchen to become. Do you want to create a traditional feel, keep it contemporary or achieve a newly off the shelf slick feel. Kitchens are one of the most important rooms in the home. It’s where we cook, eat and entertain. The kitchen is also a focal point for family life and it’s a place where we spend a lot of our time, so you need to get this right, something that will last many years.
- But remember the kitchen is not just about the aesthetics; it’s also about functionality. If you are going to move cabinets, shelves and draws around then you need to make sure it’s going to work for the long term. Having enough storage space for pots and pans, dishes, and everything else that goes into making a meal can be challenging if you don’t have enough counter space or cabinets.
- Consider if you’re going to renew or redecorate your kitchen cabinets. As this blog is about transforming your home without breaking the bank we recommend redecorating. A quick google and quote from your local painter and decorator in Derby will give you guidance of what the cost may be. From experience we know that it’s a lot less than buying new from B&Q, Wickes, Wren Kitchens, Magnet or some of the other large kitchen retailers. Painting is also less of a hassle, without the need to rip out and install cabinets. Most kitchens can be painted or sprayed within 2 to 7 days depending on the kitchen size.
- Your next consideration is whether to choose a painter and decorator in Derby that will paint by hand or spray paint. There are many ways to paint your kitchen cabinets. One of the most popular methods that has been rising in popularity over the last several years is to spray paint. Spray painting is promoted as a quick and easy way to paint your kitchen cabinets if you know what you’re doing, but we’ve seen things go wrong so often. The key steps are to remove all the doors and drawers from the cabinets. Use a degreaser to clean the cabinets, then sandpaper to remove any old paint from the surface of the cabinet. Once you’ve done that, you can start painting with spray paint. But if one step isn’t done correctly then you’ll find that your paint will peel. Using a painter and decorator in Derby to paint your cabinets will save time and money in the long run. But with the rise of many DIY’ers claiming to be professional decorators we advise checking if they have training and experience in spray painting. Even if they do opt for brush painting it will show that they’ve put time and effort into their learning and running a professional company.
- Don’t forget the walls. Most customers we work with invite us in to paint the kitchen walls not knowing about the possibility of repainting the kitchen cabinets. As the above points have focused heavily on kitchen cabinets we’re going to flip point five and say dont forget about the walls. Consider the colour in regards to what you want the final look and feel to be. Also consider the worktop and cabinet colours and how the kitchen can work in harmony with each other. Your decorator can and should be advising.
Painting is a great way to add your own style to your home and make it look more like a home that you live in, rather than just a house. As we mentioned above, painting can be done with many different techniques and materials, and comes in many different colours and finishes, but the one thing that shouldn’t be optional in your mind is the value a professional decorator will bring to the job. Newbold Decorators is a painter and decorator in Derby with experience and past testimonials to back it up.